View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #77
thejobloshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink View Post
I don't know if you have read this, Ernest Adams gives he's thoughts on the current state of adventure games.
Good article - What stood out for me though was this user comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Endresak
I want to point out that we need to be very specific about what we mean by "adventure game." Ernest actually means "Western adventure game" in this piece. Japanese and East Asian adventure games (and the related genres of visual novels and simulations) are completely different as far as structure and play mechanics, but they are also adventure games. In fact, many of the biggest problems of Western market adventures have been faced and resolved in Japanese adventure games: often excellent writing, acting, music, etc.

It's also worth noting that adventures (and visual novels and simulations) are the biggest quantity of games offered in Japan, including many popular, excellent doujin works. This is sometimes echoed by best seller charts, too - it's not all that unusual to see games in one or more of these genres hitting the top 100 at Amazon or elsewhere, and even the top 10.

Perhaps more exposure to these games would help Western market developers resolve some of their issues with design and other factors of concern.
Is this true? A cure lies in the East for improving adventure?