View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #68
thejobloshow

Does this forum attract this topic a lot? I remember the 'adventure game is dead' conversation being had in 2001. Anywho, the point-and-click adventure has surely seen its last days - just like the death of the text adventure before it. It doesn't mean adventure is dead, just that the idea of what constitutes adventure will change much like the idea of broadcasting changing with the rise of new media and media aggregators like TiVo! Don't feel too bad, joining in the demise of the point-and-click adventure is;

1. The 2D platformer, which was a staple of console gaming,
2. The 2D fighter, Street Fighter being the exception as usual and,
3. Top-down action games from Gauntlet to GTA.

I think the main issue holding adventure games back is that they are bloody expensive to make given the risk, even though I think the audience is there. I don't want to undermine the talent that goes into action games because they are becoming quite sophisticated but adventure games need to develop a complex dialogue system, puzzles along with a cinematic feeling incorporated into the 3D gaming environment.

The Internet is great because it has introduced all new business models to the gaming industry that has been able to cater quality adventure games - Telltale Games has hit upon this gold; take well known franchises with marquee value and create episodic adventures (this takes a page from Chris Anderson's Long Tail model where instead of having the big hit that funds the smaller projects, you have a greater collection of smaller games that sustain the business's longevity.) I think making the modes of production cheaper would encourage growth and in turn encourage a revival in a mainstream adventure game scene.