View Single Post
Old 04-15-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Nice moments, I shared similar reactions to certain single player games, like you the tram ride through the Black Mesa facility was fantastic. Especially watching it on a pair of (at the time top of the range) linked voodoo 2 cards on a pre release beta build. Earning a reputation as a Gigolo in Fallout 2. Setting foot for the first time on the desert surface of Tatooine in Knights of the old republic (damn those sun's look amazing in the blue sky against the desert surface). They're remembered moments of immersion when the sense of disbelief is successfully put aside by one or more features in the game be it glorious graphics or just interesting consequences to your actions.

They pale a little though in comparison to watershed moments I experienced online. Playing quake (with q95.exe) with fellow early internet adopters on our 14.4k modems at the isp's server (it was like ice skating), updating to quakeworld and soon after getting too caught up in the masterpiece that was the original Team Fortress, learning the classes and the best positions for each on a map, offence and defence tactics, learning to bunny hop, playing a role in a dedicated clan.

It was even more striking in Ultima Online, saving up money with a friend so we could buy ourselves a house near a local mine to make our fortunes, and then getting killed for the first time by another player. It was so violating I loved that game so much I volunteered to be a counselor and was one for almost 2 years, another great experience in its self being able to help others enjoy a game that meant so much to me.