Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #31
Gonzosports
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobylou26 View Post
wow and yet you manage to sound completely condescending. especially as i mentioned before that i play many different genres of games. all i said is that i play an adventure when i want an adventure game many games cross the boundaries and i am open to these, i enjoy silent hill's, resident evil's, fable etc etc etc. you are not talking about expanding on an adventure game but removing the vital (imho) component. if i wanted to just watch a story unfold i would play an interactive movie. oh and no i cant name a single one, maybe because i find the whole concept deathly dull. mayb as a filmaker you should spend your time making your own? and then show adventurers a new way to play a game tho in my case you would need to give me the game for free boot it for me, tie me to my chair and drug me full of anti-sleeping pills lol x
Maybe I should let this go - but I'm trying to find your argument.

You like movies and novels, but would find an interactive movie deathly dull, but a movie with puzzles would be entertaining?

Is it possible to recognize there are other ways of making a story or game interactive, besides the use of puzzles, ie, along the lines of what some RPGs do with morality choices, linear decisions - would this interest you, or do you need to actually have the turn the keys in the right direction after collections the raft key puzzle to be involved?

My major contention is that puzzles are placed in a game at the expense of immersion, they can entertain us, but I think there's less lazy ways to augment immersion and engagament, that there's avenues that would even continue to support the basis of their characters, their motivations and the problem they're facing.

I have written way too much on this - mostly because I am passionate about. Too often I get wrapped up in a game, its characters and its world, only to find myself wondering the sense in a particular puzzle showing up.