Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #28
Gonzosports
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Adventure games have to do with puzzles and picking up items etc and it will always be that way. Sounds like your just not a fan of them.
*sigh* This isn't even an argument. Games for video game consoles will always be 8-bit and nothing will change. FPS shooters will always be about mowing down demons from Hell and that's how it is. Women can't vote, and that's the way it will always be.

Sure, it'll always be like that, if no one pushes the envelope and if fans don't ask/demand/pay for games that push the envelope.

Perhaps the biggest reason I'm a fan of adventure games is because, like some RPGs, it intentionally pushes the envelope of creating real, comprehensive fantasy* worlds to exist in and explore, which is what I'm extremely interested in, being a filmmaker/artist myself.

And, the last statement, is also absurd. Why would I not be a *fan* of adventure games simply by railing against poorly designed, superfluous puzzles that interrupt a game? It in fact, proves I am a fan of well-designed adventure games, of which there are legion - and I might add, even the best can suffer from that silly, out-of-place puzzle and still work - the first Myst certainly does - but I am not a fan of poor, lazy, uninspired game design.

I am a fan of good games - in ANY GENRE (desite hating genres), and loathe bad games - in ANY GENRE. I feel the same way about movies, I don't give a flying ykw what genre a film is in, as long as it's good and explores its thematic content responsibly.

* When I say fantasy, I don't mean swords/sorcery, I simply mean alternate to current reality. The stype of stuff my hero Bradbury rails against - but I do find that using fantastical settings as metaphors is one of the best ways to create real art.