Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 AM   #25
noknowncure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
Define "puzzle"? Isn't an AG one big puzzle? You have to find out who killed who, or an lost item, or to release dead spirits or something.

Isn't it a puzzle to look for the key to open a door, or finding ingredients to make jam?

Or do you define puzzles ONLY as "here and now" puzzles, like sliders to open a safe (hate them myself), or a correct combination for opening a secret passway, or piecing a ripped letter together to find some clues?
Yeah, this is a constant source of confusion here. When I refer to puzzles, I mean everything from dialogue trees and fetch quests, to slider puzzles and code cracking.

The main source of contention is when a 'puzzle' is arbitrarily included, despite it not having a place in the story. The Cookie puzzle in Still Life is a prime example - in the middle of a major serial killer investigation, the detective can't advance until she's baked some cookies for her father.

In games where I discover an ancient manuscript, I should be solving the riddles in the document itself, not bribing a guard with his favourite sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
I myself play AG because of the puzzles (except the sliders), and it is also the only type of game I play. Take away the puzzles, and what's left? Walking around and talk to people?
And there will always be that type of game. I just want some attempts to broaden the genres horizons.

Simple example:

You're at a castle. A prisoner asks for water - Do you ignore him; do as he asks; bring him water and ask for something in return; kill him and search his corpse; tell the guards...

Each choice may have repercussions down the line. Different people may be more/less willing to interact with you because of your actions. Different paths may be open/closed. Your choices are part of the story.