View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #63
darthmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
The question for me is not whether adventure games are dead, but whether they are dead to You...
One might play all the major games since 2000 and find nothing of interest, contrary to other genres. This might happen if what one seeks is innovation and development. These are more abundant in other genres, which are more popular, therefore proftable and attract more devepers, programmers, etc among which everybody has their own idea how to do it and there, evolution is ready.

I would reluctantly see dramatic changes in adventures, and certainly that would be tuning them to be RPG - like clones. Evolution, by definiton, is change, and happens slowly - perhaps the amount of change in the genre can be estimated in greater time, it is too early for that. My preference is adventures do not merge into some Falluot-Myst hybrid where while doing a slider puzzle I will have to require a bazooka to defend myself against angry enemies...

Concentration is the most important thing needed in adventure playing - my friends for instance would not play adventures because the high demand for being focused and lack of adrenaline at the same is not their idea of amusement. This is my remark on the theory that more mentally challenged people prefer silly games like doom..

This is so not true... Everybody has different tastes thats all..

Could you point me to some innovation that you claim is happening in other, more popular, PC genres.