View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #47
darthmaul

"TLDR: yes, I want better graphics and features that tend to become industry standards now, I think not having these is partly why the ton of AGs which come out every year get mostly low review scores, so I can't agree that they are great games."

Except, I listed 40+ that got rave reviews, with a supermajority getting 4/5 or better.

Why do you think so many of the mainstream websites switched from x/5 to x/10? Because it shows better on sites like gamerankings. You have to take each review in context of the site reviewed from.

Why do you think every hyped big name game gets a 90%+ on release and then are talked poorly about later? Think it has anything to do with big pockets and corruption? Doom 3 anyone? Got a 98% at first... Yeah what quality!

AGs certainly lack in the graphics department again reflected at most of their review scores in the graphics sector. A look at e.g. Oblivion, which btw is getting dated, will make the difference in graphics clear.

I don't care about graphics compared to gameplay. But as I've stated, even indies like Lost Crown have beautiful art and very nice graphics. Nikopol is stunning. You'd rather shiny graphics than great gameplay with poor graphics. This is where we differ.

Regarding mods, AGS is not on par with the ability to mod a modern game engine and I cant see why not advance to have a more powerful engine for mods. I'd be happy if adventure games like Dreamfall, which were strong in the graphics department, provided the ability to make mods with their engine.

So, you prefer being limited to one engine and limited game type instead of being able to create any type of adventure game that you'd like from AGS?

In rpgs again you may not consider Bioware to have advanced, I can't agree with that but if you find AD&D stagnant, what about WoW where the mechanics change allot over time, almost with each minor patch?

Wow's mechanics change so infinitesimal that after 2 years I tried again and it took me 5 minutes to adjust to the changes. Besides, WOW is a deevolution from greater games a decade ago like Asheron's Call. Asheron's Call had a game world so large you'll never run out of places to explore, while in WOW, you will see it all in a month or 2. In Asheron's Call, you could kill someone 10 levels higher than you if you are more skilled. In wow, it is all level and then gear based, with a fraction on skill. In Asheron's Call there were no skill-less stuns where you lose complete control of your character. In Asheron's Call it took years to max level, in Wow, it took a month.

I would rather stare at a blank wall than hit 4 buttons over and over in the same dungeon for the 50th time to get a 2% drop that will barely help you, just so you could repeat that dungeon for 50 more times. It is mindless, but it is what casual gamers want. Let them have it, but it is simplification and streamlining and boring in the utmost.

It is also a huge regression from both the past of MMOs and past rpgs like Fallout 2.

Regarding spiderweb games, I doubt the majority of rpg gamers play these, if again by scene you mean people that belong to the rpg indy community then your statement paired with such a definition of scene is quite redundant.
I see games in the style of Geneforge as an interesting option eg for the iphone, when I am on the bus, but it is not something I would play on my desktop or laptop, if they were developed for iphone I would be willing to spend on them, within iphone game price-ranges of course.

Yes, you'd prefer something with a game system you've played 20x before and with shiny graphics.

You literally could not pay me to play Bioware clones/Morrowind clones anymore. SAME GAME repeated over and over with shinier graphics.