View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #38
nomadsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Therma View Post
@imissunwell

Sorry if you've already answered this question but am just interested as to why you play/used to play adventure games?

This is by no means meant as an insult in any way but...I'm guessing it's not for the more interllctual aspect - if you've moved on to playing rpgs that is? In my experience rpgs require little (if any) real thinking on the part of the player. Not saying there is anything wrong with this but surely that is a big part of what adventure games are about, making the player think whether it be to solve a puzzle or to put together plot elements. Why import loads of aspects from a genre which doesn't really do this and could be argued hasn't made great strides itself?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with a few exceptions the rpg market is still littered with boring narrative. Am playing Drakensang at the moment and whilst for the most part it's quite fun, the story is crap and I've only come across one real puzzle. Plus combat seems pretty much entirely down to luck. There's just no real stimulation for the player to think...about anything really.

Now I would agree that the adventure genre does provide some poor and dull offerings but I think it's unfair to suggest the genre has stood still whilst others have greatly progressed. I would suggest that rpg's could be greatly improved by taking elements from the adventure game market rather than the other way round, i.e. better puzzles, more varied and interesting stories. This would provide a real step forward for rpgs imho.

I guess it comes back to the question, 'why do you play adventure\rpg\fps games?'. What is it you are really after from that particular gaming experience? In the adventure gaming communities for the most part its not multiplayer options, complete freedom from linearity or multiple replay value etc.

Interesting debate though!

The answer is pretty simple, game in literal sense means something that requires hand skills + your brain, not just your brain, if you need to use just your brain than you could find puzzle book containing millions puzzles of different nature in store(novels too) , after all Layton is based on japanese puzzle books by famous akira toga. You can sit on screen for hours doing nothing with hand , thinking with brain in the end just doing little casual finger work. Games differentiate itself form other mediums by THROWING interactivity in mix, if the interactivity is stagnant in literal sense, then things are bad.

RPGs like tales series, require beatemup skills not just menubased popups, FF13 needs quick thinking with selections. Plus no matter how many of them are made , they alteast craft it in presentable form. FF12 did try to change with ATB, WKC is half realtime, not just selection, and demonsoul is total realtime, infact its oldschool hardcore(dodging, slkashing, leveling) that it revived the genre in whole asia(not just japan).
Valkyria is back on top 5 in west with its new realtime mechanic, again its not just menuselection.Watch videos of all these games you will understand.

If i want to play adventure game for story stimulation i will rather watch anime , read manga or novel because even story standards of today's adventure game are nightmare. People love it because they dont have time to look for story in other mediums.

Beat/slashemups evolving, Kof12, bayonetta, brutallegend(this would be first action game with better story than most of the adventures, thanks to tim), fatprincess(hybrid , half stratgey but slashing/beating is totally realtime requires HAND skills which i equate with interactivity).

Racing is evolving with burnout, motorstorm, new game blur(racing with guns),even NFS going PGR approach(atleast trying new).

Long debate short and my final comments to thread, is adventure genre dead?

Yes in big picture of games nowadays, people don't even care about them, they are not amongst the standards of shooters,rpg, action, beatemup, RTS,sports,racing etc.