View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #34
Find Therma

@imissunwell

Sorry if you've already answered this question but am just interested as to why you play/used to play adventure games?

This is by no means meant as an insult in any way but...I'm guessing it's not for the more interlectual aspect - if you've moved on to playing rpgs that is? In my experience rpgs require little (if any) real thinking on the part of the player. Not saying there is anything wrong with this but surely that is a big part of what adventure games are about, making the player think whether it be to solve a puzzle or to put together plot elements. Why import loads of aspects from a genre which doesn't really do this and could be argued hasn't made great strides itself?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with a few exceptions the rpg market is still littered with boring narrative. Am playing Drakensang at the moment and whilst for the most part it's quite fun, the story is crap and I've only come across one real puzzle. Plus combat seems pretty much entirely down to luck. There's just no real stimulation for the player to think...about anything really.

Now I would agree that the adventure genre does provide some poor and dull offerings but I think it's unfair to suggest the genre has stood still whilst others have greatly progressed. I would suggest that rpg's could be greatly improved by taking elements from the adventure game market rather than the other way round, i.e. better puzzles, more varied and interesting stories. This would provide a real step forward for rpgs imho.

I guess it comes back to the question, 'why do you play adventure\rpg\fps games?'. What is it you are really after from that particular gaming experience? In the adventure gaming communities for the most part its not multiplayer options, complete freedom from linearity or multiple replay value etc.

Interesting debate though!