View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
nomadsoul

I didn't mean to discredit indy games, but I just can't expect an indy game to have the level of craft of a commercial release. I do not attribute this to lack of talent but mostly lack of budget.

@nomadsoul, we seem to agree on much. I don't see myself why I should spend 30 pounds on a game that is as complex as a java game.

You perfectly nailed it, i found it abnormal to waste 40 plus $ on new BS game which is just rehash where Flower gives me super awesome experience in just 10$, new original and indie at the same time.
Its craft,ideas and execution than big budget only, there are big budget games out there, failed in sales and even execution.

And as far as those changing formula hurts genre goes, i don't believe that.

Bioniccommando last year, was blast to play, and new improvements, coop, multiplayer DM etc everything worked, more than its old school counterpart. Thats the evolution with finesse i am talking about, people will welcome change if its executed well, adventure developers fails miserably when they bring change like BS 3D and stillife2, they fall in standards against their own prequel or past efforts. Not just because of budget , there is also some bad execution and craft in action.
SoldnerX is fine example of finely craft game, with added stuff, and in the vein of oldschools like thunderforce4. SF4 is hit, people complained but capcom nailed it in 3D engine the 2D gameplay, koF12 is still coming , though SNK is not high power as capcom, still check their craft in 2D art, they are doing and polishing what they do best 2D now quality and standard rivaling 3D graphics of sf4.

The actual thing that evolved genre was DS after 1998 , tracememory, phoenix wright and layton gave birth to new interactive ideas instantly turning mouse/pointer gameplay obsolete.

The creativity and gameplay interactivity evolved, form blowing dust in microphone to tilt upper screen to reflect on bottom and more , mindbending creative use.
But there was problem too, all the good games came form japanese, with cecil types people following suit to do something inspired by layton(which is more than hit in UK, and inspired cecil to return).
Cing was already masters of adventure genre.
PW games by capcom.
And layton by level-5, all bignames and all japanese.

Again on that front , western fell flat on face, and brought games on existing ideas without any original stuff or novelty, and low budget OR badly executed/inspired.

Like that block puzzle in BS in nico new scene in beginning i was laughing, thats just one simple puzzle in layton , comeon you can comeup with better stuff, just to add nico scenarios for that stupid rehashed puzzles.