View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
imisssunwell

@Giligan, I agree that a mentality which welcomes new enhancements to the genre would make developers job easier. At the same time I am not sure what the demographics are, quite a few people seem to be interested in seeing adventure games trying something new. If all those who want to see innovation in the genre become somewhat more vocal, it could possibly help seeing such games being developed as customers we always have a voice and sometimes it is being heard by the people working in game industry personally I hope that Heavy Rain and Dreamfall Chapters will be top quality, innovative games that won't be lackluster in any department!

In fact I would be thankful if more people could write their ideas for enhancement/random thoughts, it would be interesting to see possible enhancements that adventure games can think of.

@draculina, its nice to see people drawn to adventures even during a decline period. However enhancing the genre further could bring even more and then more quality titles would appear as well.

@ puzzler & colpet, I don't agree that with changes you necessarily lose the essence of a genre. Making a game non-linear and having real choices in the dialogues won't change the essence, but it will add replay value and will make choice of the heros dialogue options more interesting. having a more dynamic world that supports multiple paths to achieve something also won't change the essence, but it will make puzzle solving more realistic, in real life we usually have many means to fix something that's bothering us not just one. Having side quests, besides the main story, adds more playtime and lets players do something while "stuck" in the main story. Most of the things in my original post won't change the known formula but rather add to it.

@colpet, It depends on what perception each person has with regard to "what is an adventure game" but imho these additions will not alter an "interactive game world, some interesting main character(s?)/NPCs to interact with, puzzle solving and possibly some action sequences". I understand that you are a fan of Myst & Myst-like games which have their own flavor and perhaps for that case not all I mentioned could be adapted.

@darthmaul, Blaiming the society for not wanting to think is not based on any fact, it's just a personal assumption and I find it a weak one. People play games that require thought all the time, they also engage in non-gaming activities that require thinking, it isn't like people need a PhD in particle physics to play computer games. The quality factor is a more likely to make them buy something else.

The rpg genre has evolved, BGII has indeed set admittedly high standards for all games to come after it but it is not at all the end of the story. Sticking within Bioware, game engines haven't advanced only graphics-wise (where the progress is amazing), module tools came, a better leveling system came (newer AD&D), the player starts in a more tabula rasa state and evolves more throughout play, Mass Effect has a much much better dialogue system , and apart from progress many aspects of the genre were fine-tuned. Besides Bioware, games like Fable (completely non-linear) Morrowind and Oblivion have also added new elements but more importantly rpgs have tremendously evolved in online play, World of Warcraft is a good example of that, 10 million players is nothing to laugh at.

The rpg genre is progressing and while a couple of games from 2000 are masterpieces even today I find the new ones quite evolved. Advancement in all aspects of game engines (not just graphical), mods, new leveling systems, more realistic dialogues, completely open ended games and imho more importantly huge advancements in online play consist solid samples of genre evolution.

Within the adventure games you mentioned some received quite low reviews & scores. Claiming 10+ great games per year come out, needs backup by facts (great review scores) and your reply is "I can't debate anything with people like that". I don't take forum posts personally but if you can't backup your statement there is no need to become impolite.

Last edited by imisssunwell; 05-01-2009 at 05:35 PM.