View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
imisssunwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahkris View Post

All I'm going to say is be careful with this phrasing. See my next comment for my actual response, I just wanted to call attention to this phrase of yours. It's not something that encourages constructive commentary, FYI.
I didn't mean to discredit indy games, but I just can't expect an indy game to have the level of craft of a commercial release. I do not attribute this to lack of talent but mostly lack of budget.

Of course there are low quality shooters, rpgs and action games, instead of *every commercial release* I should have used *every big commercial release*. I had in mind games like KotOR, Half Life 2, Prince of Persia, not a not-so-good clone of them. The point I was trying to get across is that in other genres we see the higher profile games making steps forward and raising the standards for the genre. On the other hand, adventure games have made very little progress with regard to e.g. non-linearity (replay value), top notch grahpics, dynamic worlds, interaction with the world and gameplay.

Regarding the timers, I was referring to cases where it is compulsory to complete quest X by day 17, like eg in QFG IV, not having to complete it during the night (any night). I remember I had found this sort of timer annoying for these type of games.