View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #15
imisssunwell

@nomadsoul, we seem to agree on much. I don't see myself why I should spend 30 pounds on a game that is as complex as a java game.
On having tested adventure writers and let them create a high-budget game, I'd really love to see that, they have experience and more importantly they have shown they can deliver good products, it's sad to see some of these people concentrate on other genres.

ps: Regarding heavy rain, I have really high expectations from it, if the reviews are as high as I hope them to be, even though I prefer the 360 for my gaming, I will grab a ps3 just for HR . I also hope they release Dreamfall Chapters for ps3/xbox, Ragnar has hinted it will have drm and only reason it was possible to enjoy the original dreamfall is because of the xbox port, starforce was something I didn't want on my computer.

@Puzzler better story , better graphics, better puzzles and better acting would bring much of what is missing, quality. However I would love to see stuff like dynamic cycles, non-linear gameplay and more interactivity, I believe these would only add value to the basic formula

@seek83 25-30 quality titles per year is far stretched imho, I'll have to be honest and say that I don't think it is possible to back up your statement with good reviews from many sources for these games.

I expect it to be more like 25 low-score games and possibly (depending on the year) 1-2 decent to good ones. I will assume the average price 15 pounds for the sake of example (and most likely it would be more) 25X15 = 375 pounds. Instead of trying a stack of okish (and possibly subpar games), I can see many things that can be done with so much money. One can grab an xbox360 and a whole bunch of ~9/10 score games. These games are also likely to have more playtime hours than the 25 ag and these hours will be spent on products of higher quality.

I have nothing against indy games and it is really nice to see people putting effort to create them but they certainly cannot be considered the way forward, in this day and time this is done by commercial products. I just want AG commercial releases to be on par with every other genre, an AG under development now should be on par with Dragon Age and Bioshock 2 in terms of quality, story, graphics, game hours, replay value and gameplay. Every commercial release should be a step forward, like each KQ/MI was a step forward, not the same ol' stuff, other genres are advancing, why should the adventure genre stay stale?

@Mohlin I agree, dying and killing would make AG like action games, by borrowing elements I didn't mean that. Dying/killing was possible in prince of persia from 1989 it is not part of the PoP evolution I was refering to, but rather adapting the elements that correspond to game advancement.

Day/night cycles don't have to be combined with timers, in fact any proper game shouldn't put such timers, but changing from night to day just gives a feel of a more calibrated game, night and day should just give different ways to compete the same quest/objective not force you to rush. Cycles would just bring salt & pepper and more options to the table.

@colpet There is nothing wrong with casual gaming, in fact, imho gaming should never become a second non-paying job. Many purely casual games like Prince of Persia and Zelda have advanced in many directions, making the games more enjoyable without spoiling the spirit of the game series. I just wish AG could evolve in that spirit, I don't want AG to become shooters but to evolve.

Edit: a couple of typos & altered one reply because of not reading a post properly

Last edited by imisssunwell; 05-01-2009 at 08:04 AM.