View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
imisssunwell

Hi AndreaDraco83, thank you for your reply,

I agree alot with the story comments, any game is empty without a fascinating story. RPG games use the world/story from novels oftenly, while I'd rather have an 100% original world/storyline, I dont think it is bad to transfer a good novel to the gaming schene and possibly adventures could do that (Gabriel Knight also has some novels by Jensen if I am not mistaken).

Regarding graphics, I cannot but agree that the quality of the art is what matters more than the rendering & physics engine. If the game graphics are hand drawn (2D), I am very happy as this is usually my favorite type of graphics if they are 3D however, I want the latest technology to be used and go "Wow!" when I start playing the game. I am not 100% certain of this, as I do not work in the game industry myself, however a friend-game developer has told me that 2D games are more expensive to produce when the game is large because eg, the artists have to redraw the character from scrach for every possible optical angle, use 100% original/non-repetitive environment models etc.

Imho both optional content and non-linearity are features which add value to a game. Additional/optional content can be played during the first time we run through the game and if the game is linear, there is very little motivation to replay the game apart from nostalgia. As high-end titles are quite pricey these days, non-linearity can make them give more entertainment hours and therefore worth more their cost.

The dynamic day and night cycle is something I became addicted to when I first played the Quest for Glory games as a thief. I just loved to sneak into houses! I havent played the QFG games for about 15 years but if my memory doesnt fail me, this was not possible during the daytime as the thief would be seen, also I liked that e.g. city gates were closed during the night and I had to climb. Also I certainly wouldnt mind certain characters, like e.g. Vampires to appear only during the night as they fit more into a dark setting.

Regarding Factions, I just like the feeling of having served to the maximum a faction, eg a village and hear the peasants say stuff like "it's a honor to have you among us". Factions could also add to non-linearity, two factions dont like each other, you quest for one of the two and get high reputation, then they give you the map of the forgotten cave which is underwater and the other faction gives you a key to the underground part of the city. The cave and the undercity both have new quests & stories to tell but you have to make a choice, which of the two villages (that hate each other) you plan to serve.