View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #34
veruncheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
You can't be totally bad when you're passionate and/or deluded about some cause? Well, I don't know about that, to be honest. Killing people for your precious art collection is pretty bad, for one thing.

And thanks for the translation of Vesna's words. She's certainly dedicated to her cause.
Well, I was not thinking about Kronos at the moment I wrote that. (I had those national things of the 1914s on my mind). I meant nothing is black and white, you know, in TLE. In many games you have just GOOD and BAD guys, nothing inbetween.
Of course, our lovely August has his darker side, too. As well as anybody. Yes, Kronos is evil. No doubt about that. Hi is mysterious, he knows too many things, but it is revealed he has spies, he has Kahina, so it is the question how much of the knowledge is "his" and how much of it is imported by other people... He controls people and is not tied by anybody's interests but his own, which makes him probably the bad guy of the game, if I speak in these terms.

EDIT: I feel I have to edit once more, because this theme is important for me. Characters in TLE are thought in depth, they have backgrounds, motivations, history, these things make them act like they act. And I still think: yes, there are no ABSOLUTE bad or good guys - this goes even for those who kill or intend to kill: Serbs and Alexei Dolnikov. I feel somewhat different for Kronos, as I wrote above. I was not sad he died. Vesna was fanatic, so I was not sad, too. But there is this background story for her:

Quote:
Vesna Savin
At the age of 12, Vesna saw her family slaughtered
by the local Turkish militia. A Croatian, she fled
into Serbia and joined a Bosnian irregular fighting
unit. Since then, Vesna has lived in the mountains
and honed herself into a merciless fighter.
Suspicious of all outsiders, she's a humorless, dedicated
soldier and a loyal comrade to Milos.
(from TLE: Official Strategy Guide)

And what about Kahina - why is she so devoted to serving Kronos?

Quote:
Proud and taciturn, Kahina is the last of an
ancient Matabele tribe of female warriors who
were defeated and driven from their Southern
African homeland. Kahina owes her life to
Kronos, and her loyalty to him is total and
unswerving. Her command of English,
French, Ndebele, and other languages makes
her an ideal secretary, bodyguard, and general
factotum to Kronos wherever he travels.
(from TLE: Official Strategy Guide)

Last edited by veruncheek; 03-12-2009 at 07:07 AM.