View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #33812
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post

Wait, isn't Jessica, like, not a German name? I always thought of that name as being something only people in English-speaking countries were named.

It's the English pronounciation of a Hebrew name, to be exact. And you pronounce it with an "Sch" or "sh" in my case.

And my computer happens to be called "Jeshka", after an attempt of a Japanese woman at my school who was making bookmarks with one's name in japanese writing to pronounce it, and failing. The other japanese woman who stood beside her had no problems pronouncing my name, but she wasn't the one drawing the bookmark. So now I have a bookmark reading "Jeshka", and a computer named after it, and this just happens to be closer to the original hebrew "Iscah".

It's actually rather common these days. When I was a kid though, I'd look through all those racks with things you can get with your name on (Keychains, coffee mugs, etc.), in the hope that one with my name would be there. Most of the time I would be disappointed to find my name was not among the ones available. Every item with my name on was very special, therefore. Be it from one of those racks, or ordered (my parents once got me a wooden breadboard in the shape of a horse with my name burned in for my birthday. ). These days it's practically standard to also have things with the name Jessica on. But back then it really was rare. You can't imagine how happy I was when we were in Disney World and *every* one of those racks had an item with my name on it. ^_^

Also, for some time it was rather popular in Eastern Germany to name your kid an American name. The boyfriend of my sister is from the East of Germany, and he is called "Steve".

"Jessica" is not really considered all that foreign, though. It's been around in that form since Shakespeare, and there's been translations of his work for a long time.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 02-20-2009 at 05:52 AM.