Thread: Phantasmagoria
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Jcar

It's definitely not Williams' best. It's cheesy, the acting and graphics are awful, most of the puzzles aren't that great, and it's loaded with tons of cheap horror movie cliches.

That said, it's still a blast to play provided that you view as what it is: a campy bit of video gaming history (I didn't play it until years after it came out, and I still enjoyed it). If you like bad horror films from the 1980s you'll love this game.

I wouldn't recommend bothering with Phantasmagoria 2 at all, however. It's just plain awful. And not "awful" in a fun way like number 1 was, but awful in a dreadfully boring gouge out your eyes sort of way. It's mostly just interactive cut scenes that tell a completely uninvolving story. The puzzles that are there are completely idiotic (the first puzzle of the game, in which you have to go through an elaborate series of actions just to grab your wallet from under the couch- as opposed to, say, just moving the freaking couch!- wins my award for the all time dumbest puzzle in an adventure game!).