View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post

In BG2 you had to rescue Imoen, and save your love, but no, no time limit there. Take as long as you long to do some other stuff - and when you feel like it you can resue Imoen. Or investigate the reason behind some strange disturbances in the mines of Nashkell (Baldur's Gate 1)
Um, aren't you forgetting something about BG2? You're doing all those side quests in order to collect the money required to pay either the Thieves Guild or Bodhi to take you to Spellhold. So while CHARNAME surely would like to hurry to rescue Immy (or not, depending on your CHARNAMEs or your relationship to her. I know there are some people out there that despise poor Immy.), they have no choice but to do some work on the side in order to scrounge up the coin before getting on with the actual rescuing. Of course the amount of money was scrounged up pretty quickly, and you didn't really need to do all the quests to get it. But that was the point of it, I think: You didn't need to complete everything, which allowed you to replay the game and discover new things you previously had not done before. Still, there are mods that allow you to increase the amount required so as to give you a valid excuse for you to do the sidequests without breaking character.

Also, the reason why you're going to Nashkel at the beginning of Baldur's Gate is because you don't really have any other lead than Gorion telling you to go see his friends (Jaheira and Khalid), which then tell you you have to go to Nashkel. Since you really don't have a lead on Gorion's murderer's identity, and why they wanted to kill you, the fact that you won't be able to get back into Candlekeep without Gorion, and that you won't have much in your possession apart from the things you're wearing, going to Nashkel and earning some money, while hoping to find out something more about your attacker, is as good a next step as any. Oh, and going to Baldur's Gate is not an option at that point either, I think. Even if you survive the Ankheg's in the farmlands south of the city (As someone on the Bioware forums said before the release of the NWN2 "Mask of the Betrayer" expansion on the matter of not being pampered pampered by a game, there's nothing like coming upon an Ankheg while only at 2nd level early in the game, and ending up with having your whole party including yourself annihilated. Good times, good times. ), the Flaming Fist will not let you in before you (or anyone. It just happens that you end up being the one who does it.) have gotten rid of the bandits that have been plagueing the Sword Coast. It's really a valid reason why you just roam about like that. I believe that the Baldur's Gate games are some of the most well thought out ones you can find.

And yes, I do know these games a bit too well. I've lost count of how many times I've replayed Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB. But I've only completed Baldur's Gate 1 + TotSC once, but it seems I still remember all the details.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!