Thread: Recent Splurges
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #461
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Yesterday I splurged on this:

It's a tripod with flexible legs. I want to use it for macro photography, especially outside and close to the ground. Does any one of you maybe have experience with this thing? I also bought the spiked feet so it doesn't slip:

Oooh, a Gorillapod! I have experience with it, and can only recommend it. Not only is it perfect for uneven ground, but you can even wind the legs around railings and the like if there's no ground available.

I did manage to bring it to its limit though.

This picture was taken from the top of a rock right beside the Sphinx, onto which all the visitors go to view the head of ol' Sphinxy more closely. I was trying to take a picture of my two Pinky:St figures in front of it (the blurry little heads visible at the bottom). However, to even get this picture the way you see it, I had to not kneel, not crouch, NO, I had to lie *flat* on the floor and try and take best advantage of what little lower ground (the rock was rather uneven) there was compared to the point where my little figures stood. (There was no railing or line of stones I could take advantage of. Anyone could have fallen down at any time) there was, always trying not to get stepped on by the other tourists. The guards and tourists must have thought I was insane.

Also, in the end one of my Pinkys toppled over, and while I was able to catch it, the head detached (nothing unusual, as they're intended to be swappable. You can even switch the hairdos), and is now keeping the Sphinx company. I am happy for the Sphinx, because it must be awfully boring lying there all day, with all the friendly tourists being kept at a distance, so that you have nobody to talk to - though I wonder what archaeologists in a few thousand years will think when they once again dig out the Sphinx (remember, the Sphinx wasn't always out in the open like this. It had been blown over with sand for quite some time [even in the actual time of Ancient Egypt, that had happened several times] and it's only a matter of time until it happens again. ) and find the detached head of my Pinky.

But those problems weren't really due to the gorillapod. It was just a very bad overall setup for taking a photo like that. The goriallpod served me really well. ^_^

Oh, and here's a much better picture I took with the help of it:

(the stone in the front was intentional)

Where did you get the spike feet for the gorillapod from, tsa? I think I could use those too.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!