View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #3401
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Che - Part One

A Biopic in 2 parts about the Argentinian born Ernesto 'Che' Guevara directed by Stephen Soderbergh.

The movie is framed as flashbacks to an interview he gave in America in 1964 while speaking at the UN. We then begin the story in Mexico as he meets Fidel Castro and then crosses the gulf of mexico with 82 men to begin a revolution in Cuba to oust the US backed dictator Batista.

We see how he transforms from a Doctor to a leader of the revolution as they fight in the mountains and gradually build an army as they head for Havana.

The finale of part one is a gripping street by street battle in Santa Clara the last big battle of the revolution.

The film completely hangs on the shoulders of Benicio Del Toro as 'Che' as he is ever present on the screen. Del Toro pulls it off in style with a mesmorising performance.

Unfortunatly it's not a perfect movie. The black and white parts at the UN and the interview are not as interesting as the action on Cuba and I kept being annoyed by the interruption. It jumps straight to Cuba so you son't get anything about his early life or how he ended up in Cuba (Maybe that comes in part 2 which would make these films the wrong way round) The movie also ends at a strange point after the battle.

However it is some beautiful scenery, a nice piece of history and a compelling portrayal by Benicio Del Toro that will make me come back for Part 2.

8/10