View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #33091
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I beg to differ. The United States is a constitutional republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Yeah, but communism is more an ideology than a system of government.

Anyway, question. Do you see your own government as a perfect democracy? If so, how? If not, what is your idea of a perfect democracy?
No, I don't. Of course it isn't. A perfect democracy would be a system where people had a perfect understanding of their and every other nation, society, and culture, were completely aware of each and every issue and how they should be addressed, and knew the perfect kind of person needed for each position of authority. Furthermore, a perfect democracy would completely transparent, and consequently 100% efficient; a common voice of the people would ask their government for what they needed, and they would be granted their request. The United States is hardly such a nation.

So unfortunately, for a perfect democracy/nation/society to work it would have to be comprised entirely of perfect, intelligent, benevolent, and reasonable people, who had no vestiges of greed, selfishness, ignorance, or corruption. A honey bee hive comprised of humans, really. Which is why I suspect we haven't seen a perfect government yet, or ever will.

Strangely, I can't make any argument about a perfect government of any kind without citing the root of all problem as the fallablility of humans. Hmm.

Last edited by Giligan; 01-06-2009 at 06:31 PM.