View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3379
Lucien21
Psychonaut

The Day the Earth Stood Still

The original is a cult classic as a spaceship lands in Washington with an alien and his robot Gort and warns us of the dangers of atomic war. Get along or else was the ultimate message.

Transplant this to modern day and replace Nuclear weapons with the bogey of the day (Environmental disaster) and you have an idea of the plot in this remake.

It stays fairly true to the spirit of the original even though it tries to make it more of a thiller, with chase sequences and big budget CGI distruction etc

Keannu Reeves is spookily perfect for the role of the confused emotionless Klattu (who knew wooden acting and a blank personality would come in handy eventually). However most of the rest of the cast are just window dressing or in the case of Jaden Smith, just plain annoying.

So overall it was ok without being spectacular. It will never be held in the same regard as the original, and the save the environment message is getting a bit dull these days, but it was a reasonable slice of forgettable entertainment.

5/10