View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #3361
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

V for Vendetta

In a lot of ways it wasn't a bad film. My main gripe, as is so often the way with these, is that it isn't decently faithful to the original. It has taken big chunks of the story (kudos on one particular nightmarish sequence being included) but it's also taken out vital parts. Worse, is the insertion of a wholly inappropriate love story element that completely trashes one of the most important aspects of the original tale. There are a whole bunch of other amendments. Some make sense for maintaining the flow but far too many seem to be made for their own sake. I appreciate it's a huge undertaking that needed to be compressed for a film (it still weighs in at 2 hours) but there isn't enough sensitivity to what made the original a great read.

The credits said it all for me. It was "Based on the graphic novel illustrated by David Lloyd". No mention of the author, Alan Moore, who presumably wanted to distance himself from this rewrite. I fear for the adaptation of Watchmen that is coming soon.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree