View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

As far as the Adventure Shop (or any download shop) having this restriction, I think you'll find the restriction is down to the individual game publishers, not the shop.

And to reiterate the point, a virtual machine, by definition, is not an actual machine. All the games in the shop come with specifications for a PC. Even if a virtual machine is intended to emulate a PC with a particular configuration it may not do so perfectly. This is really no different from buying a game where you have a PC that doesn't fit the specs. The buyer has chosen to take the risk that the game won't run at all by opting to run it on a machine that doesn't meet the specs in some way.

I can appreciate it's annoying, especially for anyone that's had no problems running apparently similar spec games on a virtual machine in the past. I still think you'd struggle forcing a refund because a game you bought won't run on a machine it's not actually designed for. (though a good shop will attempt to help you do so, as Damon has done above). The only people you might have a valid argument with is the virtual machine programmers for creating a virtual machine that doesn't perfectly emulate the specs you need.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree