View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
C Jkr

Sigh. I guess people are not really understanding the original poster's point. The point is that the place he bought the game from is actively forbidding him through their code from even *trying* to run the game under a VM.

This is far from saying that the games are not supported. And let me also state, that I am successfully running many adventure games from the late 90s (Broken Sword, Blade Runner) under VMWare Fusion. When VMWare Fusion says it supports DirectX 9, remember that DirectX is a set of COM interfaces and is therefore always backwards compatible at least at the binary level. So those games that were written for DirectX 5 should at the very least succeed in their API calls to DirectX 5 interfaces, even running on a DirectX 9 card.

So yeah, to the OP, this is highly annoying and it's even worse that they failed to mention this. If I bought it on credit card I would have contested the purchase.

So now for the big question, does the AdventureGamer shop also have this restriction? It would be a true shame. I've had a lot of success running even DX 8 games under VMWare Fusion.