View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The new DSi is a joke as well.
Whats the point with a miniscule screen increase and a crappy camera?
I've seen a few people speculating that its Nintendo making use of the architecture they're putting together for the true DS successor. The DSlite is still in production after all.

To my mind, DSi is now the essential young girl 'get'. DS seems to have become the introductory console for new girl gamers. The cameras (one still camera and one web cam), better online/community features (web browser), and built in media player and radio just amplify that.

The update of interest to gamers is the on-board memory for better wii/nintendo online service integration. Being able to dowload and play games on the DS (legitimately) is a big incentive.

The .25 inches bigger screens and a shorter battery life are not selling points.

GBA games are not produced anymore, the average punter would be hard pressed to find them on shelves (probably why they're so damn expensive on ebay). The only people suffering from no GBA slot are those with a large gba collection, who already have devices to play them. And those people who currently have slot 2 devices such as the Guitar Hero On Tour grip or the Space Invaders paddle (only sold in Japan anyway).

My biggest hope for the DSi, now that it embraces on board memory and importantly, micro SD storage, is that the DSi becomes a properly supported eBook platform.

I already use my black DSlite as an ebook platform thanks to the wonderful DSLibris homebrew software. I get questions and positive comments about it every day on the train. Development on it is slow however, it is a casual hobby for a few people after all, and it only supports books in strict xhtml 1.0 format.

eBooks are well due their moment in the sun ala iTunes and the mp3. But the current and upcoming crop of ebook readers are outlandishly expensive. The DS however, turned on its side makes an awesome pocket sized book reader, and putting aside all its intended use features its like a 5th of the cost of an ebook reader.