View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Yeah...I still think you're overreacting.
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
And I don't see why it's important to know the reason the puzzle is there. The fact is that it is there and that's all that is important to the average gamer. It doesn't change how bad it is.
And maybe I can't explain myself.

For the average gamer, it isn't important why the puzzle is there. You're perfectly right, even if you're stating the obvious, since no one ever said that everyone, average gamer or not, should know the reason behind the puzzle.

But, if a writer want to blame it as the final nail in adventure's coffin, or as the landmark of adventure's suicide, or only for ranting about "oh gosh, we wonder why they aren't making these games anymore", the least I can expect is that the above mentioned writer has done some research about the statement is going to make.

Doing this little bit of research, maybe can clarify him that this particular puzzle isn't the final evidence of the supposed death of adventure games, but only a side-effect of the market changes, the changes that were responsible at least of the departure of Sierra (and Lucas, by the way) from the adventure genre.

So, their syllogism (Bad Puzzles are responsible for Adventure's Death; the Cat-Mustache is a bad Puzzle; the Cat-Mustache is responsible for Adventure's Death) is totally wrong. Once we know that that puzzle was the result of personnel cuts + reducing budgets + tentative to speed up the production no matter what, and not a designer's choice, why can we still point it out as one of the reason for "wonder about they don't make this kind of games anymore?".

They didn't want to do these games anymore, so they tried to get quickly rid off the one they were producing at the time, so they manipulated the design to make it quicker and cheaper to produce.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box