View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
The cat mustache puzzle certainly didn't put a nail in adventure game's coffin but it's still a ridiculous puzzle. I enjoyed the article and I think it was funny. It's obvious that it's a humorous article and it doesn't seriously accuse gk3 or any other game for the death of a genre. I don't get why you get it so seriously.
I can't read the mind of the writer, so I don't know - and don't care - if he intended to be funny or serious. But, I think you know this article (and this one was pretty serious), which stated that the adventure games committed suicide, citing the Cat-Mustache puzzle as a perfect example.

Now, I have no reason to doubt Scott Bilas' words, so - in my opinion - is pretty clear that the revolution inside Sierra - the infamous Chainsaw Monday, and all its legacies - are the reason for that puzzle, which replaced Jensen's original concept.

Quote:
Sigh. And we wonder why these sorts of games never get made anymore...
This is the article's final statement. And I didn't found it to be funny. All the contrary, in fact. We wonder why these sorts of games never get made anymore? Let's wonder why a producer feels the right to manipulate a designer's vision not to make a better game, but only to cut what in his opinion are useless costs. Let's wonder about the reason behind Chainsaw Monday and why Gabriel Knight 3 is still the last adventure made by Sierra.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box