View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #31
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Different people of different backgrounds and life experiences find different things offensive, Giligan. Just because you aren't personally offended by the woman on the cover doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with you is hypersensitive. I don't think it's up to you to determine what is and isn't warranted from forum members.
No, which is why I said it "seems" a bit unwarranted. Ultimately, what's on that box art isn't worse than what's often seen in the average film geared towards mature audiences, and while I'm not saying that that makes it okay, it doesn't make it somehow uncommonly worse. Besides, Mata Hari was, in fact, an exotic dancer. That's history, and the box art reflects as much. The game will probably not, in all likelyhood, feature anything that would garner it an AO ESRB rating, so I doubt the character of Mata Hari - or women in general - will be degraded or objectified by the game's content.

But that's just me. It just seems to me that quite a few people are killing the messenger - in this case, the game's developer. The box art could have been handled in a different way, but the game is ultimately based on actual events, so are the game's developers really to blame here?

Last edited by Giligan; 09-27-2008 at 08:22 AM.