View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
Daventry

King's Quest 6.

The jewel of the King's Quest series. Crafted to evoke a true sense of emotion from the player. The story unfolded beautifully helping to make you believe you really were lost on some curious and mysterious islands at the edge of the world. The denizens of the realm played along according to their own rules and all were consistent with one another to assist the suspension of disbelief. The art design was simply beautiful, jumping from whimsical to morbid to elegant and grand depending on where you happened to traverse. Superb attention to detail... especially in the character portraits and backgrounds. Voice acting was spot on in the CD version. The music was beautiful. Along with Conquest of the Longbow, KQ6 probably boasted my favorite adventure game soundtrack. The puzzles wre thoughtful and creative. Some were a stretch but never quite out of reach. In all though I'd have to say, even with all this goodness, KQ6 was greater than the sum of it's parts. Sierra was going for an epic feel in the game and right from the opening cinematic it seemed exponentially more ambitious than any of their previous projects. The best gift the game gave me however was something much more intangible. A memory. A feeling. I fell in love with this game. Though it was not my first, it quickened my infatuation with adventure games. From there I never looked back. The genre has remained easily my favorite to this day. Though every once in a while I pine for the days when adventure games were designed as exquisitely.

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"

P.S. For those of you citing The Longest Journey as your favorite, that game did a pretty good job of bringing back the magic if you ask me... and made me believe there was still hope for the genre.