View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Kazmajik

Going way back, I remember the feeling when I got a new Infocom adventure game, and just that feeling of anticipation on opening the box, and then all the steps before I even started playing: formatting a couple of floppies, one for a copy of the game, the other for saves, getting pencil and paper together to make a map, and then going into those incredible worlds: Zork, Enchanter, Cutthroats, Wishbringer...

Then several years later, discovering all at the same time: King's Quest IV, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest. All the feeling revived and then some.

Some random moments: Finally getting Rosella to the top of that awful staircase, and listening to her play the organ. Putting the bridle on the unicorn. Sneaking past the Stygian witches. Coming out of Genesta's castle into the daylight.

Or, in Leisure Suit Larry 3, discovering that you can walk around wearing that ridiculous showgirl costume.

Most of my fondest memories are of playing the games with a couple of friends, having beer and snacks, and all of us trying out different solutions to problems, especially the text parser games, and laughing at the results of our silly commands. I loved the Gabriel Knight games so much that I had to play them again with other people, just to show them how amazing they are. I started out showing GK3 to a friend who was bored at first, not being into games much, and by the end she was as enthralled as I was the first time I played it.

Too many good memories to name.