View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Daventry

Default Advice on rebuilding a classic

Guys and Girls,

I need some advice and hopefully someone here can help me. I have decided that I am tired of playing games through emulators. I want to play the old classics and I want to play them the way they were originally intended to be played. I have a decent adventure collection but am about to embark on a journey of my own to build a hard core collection with sealed or mint boxes for any of the old classics I can find. Here is my question: I want to purchase a PC to play these games on. I am interested in whatever would have been considered top of the line for 1992-1993. (The peak of the adventure genre). Obviously it should be DOS based. I am thinking a 486 with a 266 mhz processor. Is this about right? How much ram should I be looking at to run the old games smoothly? Does anyone remember what the best sound system was at the time? SoundBlaster? Can I expand the hard drive size to have a multitude of games installed? Has anyone else out there done this? Any information you experts have would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"