View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Games, seriousness and devotion? Hmm...

I used to play a lot of games, and even methodically search for all the games ever created that suit my tastes. Now I play much less, but also write about them and interview game designers, which is a very interesting experience. Somehow I have also become mostly interested in game design theory than actually playing. I guess this is partially connected with the fact that I'm making my own adventure game and I really want to achieve some specific effects with the puzzles and not just make them variations of the most traditional concepts. In a few months I'll be finishing my philosophy studies and I'd like to get hooked in the gaming industry seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Oh, and ultra-realistic graphics are boring. Good art direction, however, is a must.
Agreed. I could even say that the technical limitations of yore often gave the games very cool, distinct styles. In current crop of mainstream games, we usually see only flashy SFX, which are supposed to make the impression of ultra-realism, but not neccessarly do.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-01-2008 at 10:34 AM.