View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

As a matter of fact, I give much more importance to storytelling (the glue that holds everything together) than puzzles or exploration. And yes, I quite mis-interpreted me:

Storytelling: script, dialogue, cutscenes, general direction of the game in and only if it makes the story advance/the character develops/etc. etc.

Non-storytelling puzzle: I'm stuck at a puzzle. I visit for the 100th time the same person to ask him/her/it the same question, in a desperate search for a clue, or try for the 100th time the same objects on the same hotspots (the puzzle - in my humble opinion - become part of the storytelling only after having been resolved - before they are mere devices)

Non storytelling exploration: I've missed a vital clue, so I re-visit each location, looking under every couch and in every drawer. The first exploration of a location is surely part of the story, but meaningless wandering around in search for a clue (see: it's always a matter of puzzles and being stuck at them) is not, at least to me, 'cause it doesn't make the story advance/the character develops etc. etc. It's, also in this case, a device to enhance the player's presence within the game world.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box