View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Kazmajik

Ow! Dale, I was just kidding!

Seriously, it seems these days the games are all about the graphics at the expense of the other, I think more important elements. Okay, sure, the graphics are what draw the eye, they look great on the box, on the promo website, etc. and communicate something easily, as opposed to trying to explain why a game is great because of something less tangible, such as story, plot development, clever puzzles, and so on.

It's a little like special effects in cinema, though, isn't it? How many films have come out that have amazing, jaw-dropping visuals, but combined with a bad story and bad acting have relegated them to the bottom of the bargain bin?

To quote Steve Metzler:
"Modern adventure game designers seem to be more concerned with the graphics, and less with the game play. Not exactly a trend that's going to help the revival of our favourite genre, is it?"

Maybe it's because I got my start with Infocom text adventures, that graphics aren't the reason I play the games. Sure, I appreciate beautiful graphics, but for me it's the game, the story, the writing, and the quality of the puzzles that I remember, long after I've forgotten how pretty the graphics seemed at the time.