View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #1265
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
This is what I feared with Eternal Darkness. I've seen the reviews and yet something just doesn't seem to click. I think it's mainly the graphics just don't make it look that scary. It seems more of an action adventure than a survival horror. I've also watched a few clips on youtube and it doesn't grab.
I normally do not have problems with aging graphics, only the way the reviewer totally overated a game that looks like it was developed on N64 (which in fact it was). I am missing immersion. Sure, the insanity effects is kinda cool, but things are less scary when you know what's going on. There are insanity effects in the game, but these effects starts to happen when your visual on-screen sanitybar goes low, and they are more fun than scary (such as turning off your monitor, or making it look like the game is deleting your savefiles).

I have played a few more levels and there have been some improvements on story but I still find the combat annoying and the dungeons boring. I really hate when it's the controls that become the challenging aspect of a game rather than game design. To chop off a head you must be close enough, push the aim button, push up, then attack. So far ok. But when you push the aim button, you freeze, and if you freeze too far from the monster you are trying to hit, you will miss and even if you wave your sword like a featherduster you wont hit it. Most monsters however, have a somewhat longer reach, so they hit you. Not to mention that when you are dealing with multiple nearby foes, aiming at the one closest to you is not a simple task, if it's even possible.

I also consider the spellcasting system to be out of place. Having the good old "health drinks" (silent hill) or herbs (Resident Evil) instead of the clunky spell system would not have been a bad idea. Right now, the only spell useful enough in combat is heal anyway, the rest are just for puzzles. Like, if an area looks enchanted, use dispell magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Although I'm pretty certain RE Zero was released a year or two after Eternal Darkness. I thought ED was released not long after the cube's launch, whilst zero was after the remake, which itself was about a year into the system's lifespan.
Resident Evil Remake: March 22, 2002
Eternal Darkness: June 23, 2002
Resident Evil Zero: November 21, 2002

Last edited by JemyM; 08-19-2008 at 09:56 AM.