View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
I must admit that I get a little annoyed when I read or hear, "ideas are ten a penny". If that were really so, everyone would be making Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, Knights of the Old Republic, Gabriel Knight, Etc... Or superbly original games like them, at least.

Yes, everyone has ideas, but not everyone has good ideas.
Steve,

There's a difference between "ideas are ten a penny" and "great ideas are ten a penny."

*Workable* ideas are another story. Even with some of the examples you gave, the ideas behind them were not especially groundbeaking or original. It was the writing and design that lifted them into the realm of the memorable.

Sadly, the quality of an underlying idea, even under the most advantageous circumstances (i.e., the design is championed by an experienced and well-regarded designer or creative director, at a company with the money and capabilities to produce it) doesn't dependably have much bearing on whether it actually gets funded and produced. Top decision-makers are rarely as visionary as their corporate profiles make them sound, and decisions are frequently made on less ethereal criteria than the strength of the underlying concept.

--Josh