View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
Evil Eivind

Hi, new member here!

I had the same problem running it on Windows Vista, but followed squirel's advice, and things seemed to work fine.

However, I am now experiencing more or less the same problem halfway through the game. Here's a post I made in another forum:

"Not sure where else I can turn to with my problem...

I believe I have about 480 points and I'm using SIDNEY with Grace, trying to analyase things. But, whenever I try using "view geometry" on either of the two parchments that were found in Lady Howard and Estelle's room, I get a few bleep blop sounds and it looks as if the in-game computer is loading, but then nothing happens. Can't even right click to restore my last game, and the Escape button does nothing.

The same thing also happens when I try analysing the unknown fingerprint that you get off the envelope containing the Serpent Rouge document. It appears to be loading for a bit, but nothing happens, and I have to use Alt Ctr Del in order to close the game down.

Does anyone know what's wrong? How can I overcome this problem?"

I believe I've figured out what the problem is, having snooped around in the folders of the second CD of the game; in the data folder there are a few AVI files, and I'm guessing the game is trying to play them, but due to the codec problem mentioned above they can't get played. So I only get the bleep bloop sounds of the geometry map tracing thingy, but I don't get the video, and the result is that the game crashes.

As these are contained on the actual CD, I can't replace them with other video files.

So, what do I do now? Anywhere I could get this needed codec from? What's it called?