Adventure Forums - View Single Post - Do you invert your controls?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #12
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I'm confused.

It's possibly because I don't play that many action games so I may have the terminology wrong, but I thought inverted controls meant the kind used by flight simulators (forward = up). Your (Jat316sob) post seems to indicate the opposite?
When talking about inverting controls, it's (as far as I know) always about inverting axis. Imagine your screen looks like this:

.........^.........
.........|.........
.........|.........
X----------->
.........|.........
.........|.........
.........Y.........

Yeah, poor drawing, I know, but there's a horizontal axis X from left to right, and a vertical axis Y from bottom to top. When using a mouse, you expect forward/backwards to move your cursor up and down along the Y-axis. Left/right should move the cursor left and right.

Now, in any situation where you have a cursor that can be moved around on screen, this is intuitive. However in a game where mouse/joystick movement mimics a camera or head movement, it might not be. Moving the cursor (may or may not be represented by a crosshair or similar in the middle of the screen) upwards, the screen moves with it. This would look similar to your character leaning backwards, so inverting the y-axis (vertical) will give your mouse "lean backwards" and "lean forwards" behavior when moving it.

When the mouse is supposed to control a camera behind you, it may sometimes feel natural for right and left to be inverted, i.e. mimic pushing the camera to the right and left, though this is not as common.

Of course, the act of inverting the controls for a game might be interpreted as just changing it from the default behavior. If so you may end up playing with controls that are not inverted afterwards if inverted y-axis was the default setting.