View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The first Phantasmagoria is an historical milestone in our genre. Have you ever played the others Roberta Williams' games? If so, forget about them: her cheerful writing, her light-hearted tone and her humorous wit have no place in this game. Instead, you'll find a gruesome plot that deals with a lot of delicate themes - sexuality, domestic violence, rape, murder - while telling a story of dark magic, family secrets and damnation.

It really sounds good, but the game has some problems: first of all, the story weaken 'round the middle of the game and became forced, trite and a bit corny. Then, the gameplay: there aren't puzzle, in this game - you'll simply watch a FMV, then click another hot spot and then watch another FMV. Also, the character, Adriane Delaney, is quite often dull and uninteresting.

So, the game was worth a try if you are a Sierra-fiend (like me ) or if you like interactive movies, and are seeking completion: otherwise, if you haven't, I suggest you to play Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within to see a FMV game that's really a masterpiece.

As for Phantasmagoria II, surely it isn't scaring as the first one, but it's fun, even when it's tacky. And I agree with Yorolepal: they did a very good job with the characters, avoiding clichés and stereotypes.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box