View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #29372
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
Well, the real problem with Squinky's declaration is that women, as a general rule, are not aroused by visuals; that's pretty much a male reaction. Not that women don't appreciate visuals--I was quite struck by the sight of Will in a frock coat when we were actors in a Tom Stoppard play (very handsome, very dashing and romantic). But that image was working on my brain, not any assorted organs or body parts (that came later). And as we all know, when men are, shall we say, interested, their brains stop working.
So what are women, as a general rule, aroused by? And how much of that would you say is a product of biology, how much is a product of psychology, and how much is a product of society?

I'm generally not a fan of essentialist "women are X/men are Y" statements, mainly because, well, myself and most people I seem to get along with best deviate from such commonly-held assumptions. But then, I've never been a man, biologically, so I have no measure of comparison as to how and to what extent said biology would feel different. The anecdotes of other men aren't necessarily convincing because there's always that matter of "is this true of all men, or just this individual or subgroup of men?"