View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #3249
Jatsie
Lovable rogue

Blood Diamond

I haven't entirely made up my mind about this movie. At the outset I was afraid that the film was going to follow Leonardo DiCaprio on some noble quest to prevent the trade of these diamonds, but I was presently surprised by the fact that his actions were quite mercenary, and I found the plot quite compelling. The film completely lost me in the last 45 minutes however, the pacing slowed down to a point where I was just wishing they'd hurry up and draw the thing to a close, then we had the predictable cliched Hollywood change of direction, where the bad guy turns good, blah blah blah, happy ending. *yawn* I find that so tiresome, it goes from gritty and real, to trying to placate viewers who wish to live in a bubble where everything always works out for the good.

I did learn one thing from all this though, conflict diamonds seem to be a very lucrative business...

Blade Runner (the final cut)

I watched this due to the fact that the film is continually heralded as a cult classic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was interesting, but I really wasn't blown away. Perhaps had I seen it in 1982 it would have had more impact, but I didn't feel it at all. If anything, I found the moral questions it tried to throw up, far too transparent to have any effect. Nevertheless, I'm glad this was the cut I viewed, as a narration and pegged on happy ending would really have been detrimental to the entire thing.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena