View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #118
ozzie

I'm 20.
Introverted, probably, not the most outgoing person.

Some of my friends are interested in adventure game, for the story and world, but hate the all too usual "read the designer's minds" puzzles. Floyd (aka Feeble Files) basically put them off the genre.
I showed one of them a Sam & Max episodes (Abe Lincoln must die!). He liked it, but he rarely buys games, only pirates them, so.....I didn't get him hooked on that either.

I'm not that interested in the genre since innovations are few and rare, the genre stagnated.
But still, adventures are most likely to give me a believable world and deep characters.
I could do without the arbitrary puzzles, though.

Kick the vending machine three times? What?? Give the guard a toy box? This makes no sense!!! Grrr...

So, I always played all kinds of games, but in recent times I tried to get a bit more into RPGs. But except for Planescape: Torment and Fallout none seems too intriguing. The makers of those seem more interested in implementing the AD&D rulebook than making an interesting game...

In recent times my interest in adventure games rised again a bit as I discovered the old Legend adventures. They are a lot of fun and well designed.
They also made me realize why I am often bored by 3rd person adventures. I mean, I love the LucasArts games, but sometimes I want to yawn. It's not because the games have a slow pace and aren't full of action, instead it's the Point 'n Click mechanic. You know, click on the place where you want your character to go to. While he does that you do nothing! Yawn! It's the reason why I prefer direct control, it gives me a greater immersion and feeling of doing something. But direct control does work seldomly in 2D adventures (see Grim Fandango for a negative example), and 3D adventures are rare.
I wish developers would go more in this direction, but then, I guess the development budget rarely allows it. Hm.