View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #52
atyinbox

Default Underclocked

(English is not my first language, so I'm sorry for the mistakes)

I played Overclocked for one hour yesterday, one hour today, and I disliked it so much, I already unistalled it and deleted the savegames. I see why someone people compare it to Indigo Prophecy, though I found that one to be a good game. This one is not. Maybe part of my dissapointment is because I had high hopes for this one, but in my opinion it's terrible.

The graphics are OK. Locations look good, and the weather effects adds a lot to the atmosphere. On the other hand, characters look ugly and animate even worse. It's really painful to watch them trying to interact with the environment and with each other. It's so distracting sometimes I couldn't even pay attention to the dialogs. Btw, it's good to have the subtiles option, because the volume of their voices randomly changes from too-loud to I-don't-hear-it. The voice acting is not that bad, but the dialog lines overlap horribly. When a character is about to end a phrase, the next phrase (from the same character, or from the other one) starts, and it gets really distracting at times. The music is good, though, and also adds to the atmosphere. Some of you already mentoned the problems with the triggers, and it is indeed one of the worst aspects of this game. You never know what to do, and you need to go back to every location and interact with every object for the tenth time, hoping to find that little thing you missed as is preventing you from moving forward. Your character sometimes tells you something like "I gotta tell him that", and you go, talk to that person, and the option to tell him "that" is not present, just because you missed looking at something before, or calling everyone on the cellphone for the eleventh time. The gameplay is just broken. I can understand if adventure games don't have enough money to add production value, but some things are unforgivable. For example you call a person over the phone, the screen splits and you see him answering. Days pass by, you call him again, and he's always standing in the same room, in the same spot, with the same cloth... C'mon! Anyways... I can go one for hours complaining, but you get the point. I can't say much about the story because I didn't play enough, so I guess that's the great aspect of this game. Hope they release a demo soon, so everybody can see it first hand before buying, and not get cheated by the great screenshots.