View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #62
Strok

Hello folks! First time poster here, so I'll start with chiming in.

For me, I recently purchased Sherlock Holmes, Case of the silver earring (or was it curse? I forget...). After hearing the accent of Holmes it nearly made me gag. His voice is simply atrocious... You could instantly tell it wasn't written by people who speak English very well. The voice actors were all terrible and it rendered any possibility of me playing the game to completion very much naught.

Which is a damn shame too because it looks really good!

Also, Malcom's Revenge. I started playing it off the back of finishing the masterpiece of Hand of Fate. I can't for the life of me understand why they put in a, admittedly removable, laughter track and it's really hard to parse in my brain the colourful 2d sprite with the early nineties rendered 3d landscape. It just didn't work for me and didn't have any of the catchy music that the second one had...

Oblivion, like one of the previous posters said, was jaw droppingly good looking when you first play it but it gets incredibly old when you level up and level up and level up and, because of the stupid ability of the enemies to level up with you, renders all of this completely meaningless. If you can't kill a rat at level 1, you won't kill the rat at level 20 because the rat is doing roids.

Midnight Nowhere was another adventure that I just couldn't finish. It's not that it was a terrible game, it looked great, but it was so very... very sterile. You can't look or do very much at all. I was raised on adventure games where you could look at nearly everything, even if it had no relevance. This game had nothing like it. My faith is rekindled by starting to play Longest Journey finally.

A game that should teach me not to play the sequels is Broken Sword. The games are great but they really cannot end any of the games. First one, crap ending. Second one, AWFUL credits tune. (Happiness is an inside job?!). The third one was the worst and... well... I've not finished the most recent one as I gave up after that scene (it's been a while, bear with me) where you're underground and there's been a machine gun fight and... and (-struggles to remember-) there's some rotating wheels on the wall. I just lost all interest. My partner reliably informs me that I'm not missing anything and the ending is utter poo.

I believe her.

Anyway, hello once again and goodnight!