View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #43
buddi

Regarding the repetitive dialogue, I agree with you that Lost Crown suffered from the same issue. There I found it annoying, but not quite so jarring, since Nigel Danvers was consistently a sluggish, blase lout. I'm not saying I was a fan of the Danvers character but I found the location and puzzles interesting enough and the story compelling enough to hold my interest. What bothered me about Overclocked is that I felt the success of the frame story depended on a rising emotional intensity as David became more and more volatile, but the intensity either never developed, on account of the poor voice acting, or was immediately diffused at the close of the conversation. Spoiler:
Spoiler:
A perfect example is when David freaks out and pulls a gun on Mr. Flynn; David hardly seems to be shouting, there's long pauses in the dialog, and when it's over he just says, "I've gotta go, see ya." and Flynn replies with his customary, "Have a nice day."
I think the characters would have seemed much more real if they had varied a bit from day to day in accordance with the changing relationships and circumstances.

BTW, I also encountered some very slow load times and the game crashed 4 times, both of which were also detrimental to the general pacing and atmosphere of the game. I can usually find something of merit in just about every game but this game let me down on every level, what's worse, I feel it failed the most where it should have tried the hardest.

Last edited by buddi; 04-22-2008 at 02:31 PM.