View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #16
D.C.

I should say first up for full disclosure that I've played Full Throttle before, so I won't speculate on story points and where I think they're going, etc. Already this game is pretty damn immersive, pulling me into the world again from the moment the opening sequence starts. The world and characters are so well realized. Although we don't know the specifics of the setting yet (such as time, location, etc.) it's already dripping with post-apocalyptic-like atmosphere. (The best kind. ) In reality I know next to nothing (and really don't care) about bike gangs, but already I feel attached to the Polecats and Ben's mission. Ben's a man of few words which is refreshing for an adventure game, but when he does speak he usually says something incredibly cool, incredibly funny or both. He's a very likable guy.

After Grim Fandango I definitely think this is one of LucasArts most cinematic games. All the production values are there from an excellent soundtrack, beautiful stylized art, a freakin' awesome script and some pretty great voice acting. I love how the bar man tells Ben that "They were going to kill you and make it look like an accident." Ben dismisses it until the plan actually happens a few moments later. I like the seamless interface too and how it's designed to look like the Polecat tattoo. (The kicking option has got to be one of the most awesome actions ever. From kicking the piano to kicking the dumpster. Good times had by all. ) I find myself clicking on all the options just to hear Ben's responses -- definitely a sign of awesome writing. The attention to detail is great.

I sort of like the bike fights, but I prefer the future ones. (Which I'll talk about when we reach them.) Ben's a biker and the fact that he's got rivalries and foes on the open road definitely adds to the atmosphere. There's nothing wrong with a little combat. We're not far into the story right now, but they've done an incredible job setting the scene and putting all the characters into place. (From the backstory behind Corley Motors to the various agendas of the characters.) There's already a feeling of definite trouble a brewin' and I can't wait to play more.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-20-2008 at 09:29 PM.