View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
It has a great intro with some cool music, I still get the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when Ben goes over the limo and the music kicks in.
The opening title track is "Legacy" by The Gone Jackals. I liked their music so much I went out and bought the album. Bone to Pick I think their music fits the game well.

Quote:
The interface is similar to the coin from MI3 in that a mini icon driven menu come up when you left click on a hot spot (red box round cross hair identifies hotspots). The menu system can be seen during the intro as a tattoo on the arm of one of the polecats. It's pretty intuitive, just select the part of the amatomy you want to use, eyes to look, feet to kick etc etc.
I think this is the first usage of the interface in this style. (MI3 was later) I like the animation when you select the various actions (the bloodshot eyes being a particular favourite) and the burning noise from the flames is a nice touch.

I love the long cinematic to this, especially with the theme. It's the attention to detail that gets me every time. The moving material on Ben's clothes. The flickering reflections in the bike's metalwork. All these little touches serve to create the illusion of movement. Also, characters blink. It's such a small thing but with little details like that being dealt with you have more confidence in the bigger picture.

We get a nice broad background setup here with a lot of the major characters benig introduced. You get a feeling for who's who and what parts they are playing. No prizes for guessing who the villain of the piece is.

The bike fights can be an annoyance. I must be honest that I've never found this one a problem (just move over and pound the left mouse button for all you're worth) but the later ones are trickier. There are some tricks to beating most of them which don't require fighting game reflexes but we can cover that later.

You've got to admit that Ripburger isn't lying (slight spoiler. Leave until after the 3rd section if you're playing for the first time)

Spoiler:
He most definitely is not WAITING for Malcolm Corley to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
(Okay, so I didn't stop after the bike fight... that first part is real short.)
There's no rule saying you can't play ahead as much as you want to. Just try to avoid speaking about the later parts until we all get to them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree