View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #28409
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Yup. Yet it doesn't get old. I love it. The good thing about the P&P games is that you can actually roleplay. Sure, there's computer games based on these systems, but it doesn't work that well. In any single player CRPG you will end up railroading the player in some way, because it's impossible to program the game in such a way that it could respond to every possible player action appropriately.
I had someone recently comment that Chivalry is Not Dead played more like a P&P RPG than an adventure game. Pimpage aside, however, I think it depends on the quality of the game's writer(s), or in the P&P case, on the creativity of the players. I don't think you need to take into account every action, so much as take into account every meaningful action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Anyway, what I meant to say is, it's much easier with P&P games. You don't have to program a computer, as you already have the best programmed, and most adaptable computer in your heads. Roleplaying can only done really well if you don't have any given options when replying, and just make it up as you go. One day you might be able to program a computer to be able to replace playing with actual people, but it's far in the future, if it will ever happen. And personally, I am happy talking to my friends as we play.
I dunno. Some AI researchers will argue that the brain makes for a terrible computer; there are some things a computer really does better than most humans (e.g. really fast calculations, huge capacity for memory) just as there are some things humans are a lot better at than computers (e.g. natural language processing). So, I don't think it's a matter of computers replacing humans so much as it is a matter of using the strengths of a computer to enhance already-existing human interactions.

This is why I prefer author-driven narratives in games rather than procedural/emergent ones. True, we've never seen a good example of a procedural narrative yet, but somehow, when an author actually goes through and develops characters and a plot of sorts, you can really notice the humanity present therein. The reason I'm a game designer is not because I want computers to replace humans, but because I want to "play" with a broader audience, if that makes any sense at all.

Hence, what I'm really trying to say is, play my games, if you haven't already.

P.S. I've never been diagnosed with a mental disorder, but I know I possess too many quirky mannerisms to be "normal", so I occasionally wonder whether I fall somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I don't think I annoyed too many of my teachers as a kid, by dint of mostly being quiet. Fellow students, on the other hand...